Handpicked for you...
An utterly beautiful thatched cottage on the glorious private estate of Buitenzorg. Set on six acres of equestrian paddocks and stables, rolling green lawns, oak, avocado and fig trees, English rose gardens, olive groves, citrus and apple orchards, a swimming pool, tennis court and a wild meadow – this hideaway declares sublime suburban living, in the heart of the Constantia winelands.
The part-English, part-South African owners held a watchful eye on Buitenzorg for over 10 years, before finally purchasing the property in 2018. The owners transformed the cottage into a vibrant yet refined space, where frivolity meets finesse, colonial meets contemporary. This beautifully-styled suite, sits beside the stables. An idyllic spot to settle in the late afternoon sun as you watch the birds dart with the changing colours, and the evening horse-riders trot along the pathway, in sync with the sound of the ice clinking in your glass.
What we love!
- The quiet seclusion of the property, with its breathtaking views of the Constantia wine region.
- The property has direct access to the Groot Constantia vineyards for easy country walks amongst the vines. As you enter through the gates of the property, a long, sweeping driveway leads you to the front door setting the tone of old age romance and grandeur from the get-go.
- The swimming pool with its fun slide and ample lounging space around it for lazy afternoons spent on the property.
- With its 5 large vegetable and herb gardens, and an abundance of fruit bearing trees, you’re at liberty to source enough ingredients for those blissful al fresco meals from the garden.
What you need to know…
- Please note that Buitenzorg Cottage is situated next to the Buitenzorg manor house which is featured in the images above.
- For the active members of the family, the Constantia Greenbelt mountain biking trails are only 2 minutes away from the property.
- Buitenzorg is nestled within the Constantia wine region – home to some of the country’s finest restaurants and wine estates. Aside from the estate on the doorstep, take a short drive and explore all that the region has to offer including Buitenverwachting, Beau Constantia (spectacular views of the valley), Steenberg Vineyards – that’s home to Bistro Sixteen82 and Catharina’s – and of course Silvermist Wine Estate where La Colombe’s kitchen cooks up the most iconic and internationally acclaimed menus in South Africa.
- This unique estate, grand as it is, is totally secure, with a high-tech, top of the range alarm and security system – for that extra peace of mind.
Reviewed by Colleen Ogilvie