There’s so much to be said about Plettenberg Bay and its abounding attributes. As far as we’re concerned it’s one of the top holiday destinations in the country – for a full-on family affair with cousins of cousins and friends of friends. Whatever the weather, whatever the holiday motive, Plett and its beaches, its mountains, its community of wonderful residents, its nature, birdlife and oceanic wildlife is captivating all year round.
Resting immediately on Robberg Beach, with direct access to the shoreline, down a wandering wooden pathway, Beachy Head House answers to the call of an idyllic seaside getaway along the most spectacular stretch of the Robberg Peninsula. You’ll wade out into the warmer waters of the Indian Ocean – for hours on end – catching the surf, paddling across the shore on boards, and swimming the waves as they curl, just like the dolphin, the seals and the whales do.
Set on three levels of vast, inviting entertainment spaces that have been layered around the entrance quad – where the swimming pool, sun loungers, outdoor dining and cooking areas sit – this hideaway encapsulates a multi-faceted home that generously welcomes a party of at least 12 of your favourite people. Its spacious, stylish en suite bedrooms are tiered on the first and second levels, with a games and cinema room below. Perfect for those moments when a good bit of competition is to be heard and not seen. The main living, cooking and dining spaces seamlessly blend together, maximising on those breathtaking views of the ocean that appear to be an immediate extension of the deck. It’s here you’ll spend the first moments of your mornings, sipping a hot brew as you witness a pod of dolphin greet the day with you. For those early birds, you’ll make your way through the nature dune forest with the loeries, and onto the beach. A stroll or swim, followed by a long, hearty brunch on the front deck. Before long it’s time to resume beach patrol with bat and ball, board or just plain old body, and back into the water you go. A late lunch at one of the lovely local eateries or back to Beachy Head House, where you’ve decided to call in the caterer. It’s time to let the cooks take charge of that fantastic kitchen that’s been specifically designed for entertaining. Should you wish to, close it off and allow the chef to resume the magic away from the crowd.
Then off to play some golf, tennis or take to the mountain trails. Working up an appetite for the seafood feasting that will ensue on that lovely deck, around the long table, looking at the ocean and Tsitsikamma Mountains in the distance. It all ties together with the tide, like the beautiful mosaic on the wall that depicts a scene of the ocean and the stars in an endless mythical tale of holiday harmony.
What we love!
- Arriving at the property and walking through the beautiful milkwood forest entrance with it’s branches weaving their ways towards the blue entrance door.
- Beachy Head House was designed for great cocktail parties and board or card games evenings in the formal library and sitting room. It’s a unique home that allows for secluded social spots, yet equally integrates everyone together.
- All of the bedrooms – except for the outdoor en suite bedroom beside the swimming pool – deliver spectacular views of the ocean.
What you need to know…
- Beachy Head House is fully-serviced with daily housekeeping. There is an additional outdoor room to accommodate any overflow of guests and a chef’s room. There is also a small study in the main house.
- The property is very well situated, being close to the supermarkets, cafés and all amenities – everything you need is within walking distance. Your cars can remain parked.
Reviewed by Colleen Ogilvie