Welcome to a tropical paradise that’s decadently different and refreshing. A gracious family home perched on a coastal cliff, Sirai Beach on Kilifi, along the coast of Kenya, is a sanctuary of calm. It’s designed to catch gentle breezes off the Indian Ocean, while offering spectacular ocean views as far as you can see. Now, imagine being there with your beloved family or most favourite friends and having the luxurious space all to yourself.
Sirai Beach is a contemporary take on traditional Swahili architecture that’s monochromatic with touches of whimsical charm. Indoor swing seats and glorious swinging beds on shady verandahs encourage playfulness and meditative relaxation. Sirai Beach strongly encourages lazy days. But if you’re feeling energetic, there is always tennis – on the court just behind the house.
The main house wraps around an open verandah, which overlooks the vast, lapping infinity pool with the ocean just beyond. Six private suites – with curtained canopy beds and spacious leisure areas – each stand alone in the surrounding tropical garden. There’s absolute seclusion, and happy togetherness when gathered in the main house for meals or communal chill time. Resident chef Thoya prepares healthful, vibrant cuisine from locally sourced produce and seafood. Everything he serves is fresh, finger licking food of the gods. Do request his signature lobster ravioli with saffron butter, at least once.
All the invigorating water sports are on offer along this scenic and serene stretch of coastline, where the water is always luke warm. Try kite surfing, wakeboarding, waterskiing and windsurfing as a start. Sailing, scuba diving amidst rainbows of tropical fish, dhow trips and deep sea fishing for game fish from state-of-the-art Sirai Sea are also on offer. Sunsets while on the ocean are majestic, but if you’re at the house do choose to greet the day on the unique sunset deck – under an ancient baobab and with the ocean just at your feet yet far below. It will be a memory you won’t forget.
What we love!
- Quartz-slice table tops are unusual and decadently beautiful.
- The oversized entrance doors give a feeling of special occasion.
- Staff are all so warm and friendly, and you feel instantly comfortable.
- There’s a PGA golf course just a 40-minute drive away.
Need to know…
- Sirai Beach is for exclusive use only.
- There is a helipad for easy access.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
- Kilifi is a malaria area, so prophylactics are advised.
- Getting there: Take a private charter on Sirai Air to Kilifi airstrip and then a 5-minute drive to Sirai Beach. There are also commercial flights to Vipingo airstrip on Safarilink, then a 40-minute drive to the house.
- South African visitors do not need visas and vaccinated travellers don’t need a PCR test on arrival either.
Reviewed by Keri Harvey