Occasionally we come across those rare gems that stand out as being more than just a holiday home, more than just a place to escape to with your clan. The property speaks to you about its history, its positioning and its intent on nurturing you during your stay. It offers insight into the area it occupies through its old, inimitable charm and benevolent character that’s palpable in its walls, floors and open spaces. A place such as this offers itself as an environment of endless inspiration. Where you and your favourite people can gather and allow the exhilarating views, the intoxicating sea air, and the maternal embrace of the home to engulf as the family holiday begins to unravel.
Located immediately on Lookout Beach, overlooking the ocean and estuaries of Keurbooms Lagoon, The Treehouse towers over the sand like a palatial patron of the old town of Plett, and whisks you out to sea. Set on three levels of expansive living, entertaining, dining and reclining spaces, with cosy patios and grand verandahs, rolling lawns and indigenous gardens, a lovely swimming pool that flows with the horizon of the ocean and a double garage housing a games room, this hideaway holds a space of calm and tranquility, yet invigorates with its ever-changing light and staggering views. Classically furnished in soft, neutral hues and textures, with verdant foliage cascading over balustrades adding vibrant colour to the landscape, The Treehouse refrains from any nod to opulence. Like a grand, sturdy gentleman, it revels in authenticity and comfort.
Built by the owner’s father in 1995, the property optimises on its positioning and clever proportions by having the helm of the home on the top floor, honouring the north facing light, making way for those views to pull you out towards them. The ensuite bedrooms scatter themselves over the other levels, leading down to the swimming pool area that’s perfect for lazy days on loungers, looking out to sea. You’ll find yourself being drawn to the garden where you’ll wander beneath the trees, listening to the birds from the bench. Beverage in hand and gaze over the sand, you’ll venture onto the beach for some more shell collecting, swimming, surfing and all the rest. An outdoor shower adjacent the swimming pool rinses the salt before heading back to the lounger. Where you’ll resume that chapter. The kids are in the games room, the braai masters are on the top floor preparing the flames as the cooks are spicing, slicing and dicing. The music is playing, inciting a little skip and a dance from the pool to the patio. Time to watch the colours of the sea and the mountains transform once more. This gem of a hideaway has captured your heart and allowed it to settle with the sun. Reminding you to move with grace, at your own holiday pace, as you’re held in the tranquil space of The Treehouse.
What we love!
- The garden is spectacular with its indigenous vegetation attracting an abundance of birdlife. As you arrive at the property, you are greeted by a 200-year old flowering gum that frames the entrance.
- It’s all lit up in the evenings.
- Spending long evenings on the verandah, watching the waves and counting the shooting stars.
- The immediate access to the beach and the phenomenal views that engulf the living spaces.
What you need to know…
- The two ensuite bedrooms on the swimming pool level features a little kitchen and working space.
- The main ensuite bedroom on the second level features a little lounge or study area making the property ideal for working away from home.
- There are two separate sculleries on the property, including a laundry room.
- The house is solar-powered with a dual inverter system so those load shedding days will not affect you and your family.
- The lovely Frank and his wife Zioni reside on the property and are there to assist with the daily housekeeping, maintenance, braai clearing and preparing and any other household tasks.
- There is plenty of off-street parking – to accommodate as many as 10 cars!
Reviewed by Colleen Ogilvie