At Simbavati Homestead, you are deeply immersed in the African bushveld. In the heart of the enchanting Klaserie Private Nature Reserve, which is open onto the vast conservation area that is the Kruger National Park, this is an epic and coveted retreat. Here, you are truly out in Africa, and with the Homestead being an historic and magnificently renovated farmhouse … this is literally your own ‘farm in Africa’ for the duration of your visit.
The Homestead is a vastly spacious, self-catered holiday home for good friends, extended family or both to enjoy. Children of all ages are welcome and there are 5 light-soaked en-suite bedrooms to accommodate 10 people comfortably. The open-plan lounge, dining and kitchen area makes for easy communal living and conversation. But there’s also a separate TV lounge, or snug, for children to gather and hang out together – actually, for anyone wanting to escape the main fray for a while.
Whoever is keen can regroup for morning and evening game drives, expertly guided by your dedicated ranger in a private game drive vehicle. You get to set the departure time too, remembering that creatures of the bush are early risers and you wouldn’t want to miss the action. On your return, whip up a simple brunch and continue a day of relaxation and easy living. While the children frolic in the pool or play games in the garden, stretch out on the long, roomy verandah and gaze into the scenic wilderness – better still, curl up on the daybed with a book and beckon a nap.
The Homestead was created for families and friends who love nature and each other. It’s an ideal space to disconnect from busyness and reconnect with each other. Here is time and space to enjoy life’s true and simple pleasures; time talking around the boma fire, meals prepared together, cool pool swims and warm sunshine on your face, the background music of birdsong, the eternal beauty of the bush. And the appreciation of family and good friends. It’s a special blend of family holiday and bush lodge getaway rolled into one.
Reviewed by Keri Harvey
What we love
- the larger-than-life leopard print in the living area
- so much time and space to connect deeply with nature
- that the lodge is ideally suited to children of all ages
- the calm, muted colours throughout – with a feeling of luxury
- lounging on the verandah watching the light change over the bushveld
- spending days according to your chosen time and meal schedule
Need to know
- the grounds are fenced, so it’s safe for children to play outside in the garden and pool
- Homestead is self-catering only
- malaria precautions should be taken
- Getting there: Both Airlink and Cemair fly daily between Johannesburg and Cape Town to Hoedspruit’s East Gate Airport. Private charters on Federal Air direct to the reserve are possible. By road, it’s 6 hours’ drive from Johannesburg.