Melton Manor is a private homestead in the heart of Kwandwe, near Grahamstown, in the malaria-free Eastern Cape. The safari experience here is all about doing things in your own time, which what a family holiday is all about. Along with a team of wonderfully welcoming staff, Melton Manor has its own dedicated vehicle, ranger and tracker, which means that your bush experience private too – with none of the stress of whether the kids will behave in front of other guests. Melton has recently added a viewing deck near the pool area, giving families space to chill and have time out together and relax in complete privacy.
As Big Five destinations go, Kwandwe’s lodges are set on 22 000 hectares of Eastern Cape wilderness, making it the largest privately owned Big Five game viewing area in South Africa. Melton Manor is one of three exclusive-use options on the reserve and has only four suites, sleeping 8 guests. The other two houses are the Settler-style homestead called Uplands, and the contemporary Fort House, positioned right above a plain with excellent game viewing right in front of it.
For families, the exclusive-use houses at Kwandwe are perfect for eco-conscious globetrotting families. Those who want to offset their carbon footprint can even plant a Spekboom tree, one of the top five carbon-storing trees on the planet. At Kwandwe, every aspirant little ranger is given the courage to explore, discover and delight in the miracle of nature, learning more every day with experienced teams of trackers and rangers. And for those who love the thrill of walking in the wild, interpretive bush walks or big game tracking safaris always make for lasting bush memories!
What we love!
• That the lodge is contemporary but child-friendly
• That you can have your young children on a safari experience in what feels like your own private home. Little ones feel secure in this environment
• Melton Manor (and all the exclusive-use houses) come with their own private vehicle, ranger and tracker team. Makes for a really special family experience
What you need to know…
• Adults can book photographic safari: well worth it!
• Specialist rangers do a Big Game Walk (for over 16s)
• You can fly in to the airstrip close to the reserve gate.
• That Kwandwe has several private villas including Uplands Homestead and Fort House, all of which are wonderful options for multigenerational families. Ecca Lodge is also child friendly.