Sipping early morning coffee on the deck, two elegant nyala graze peacefully just beyond the pool. In the middle distance a family of warthog scurry past in single file, their tails up like flags to see each other in the tall grass. But the large fenced area around Farm House in Madikwe Game Reserve is home to various antelope species and other small mammals too.
Exclusive-use Farm House is as big as Owners’ House and River House combined and has five bedrooms, built around a large central courtyard and linked to the living area by covered walkways. The house is spacious and beautifully designed for a multi-generational safari getaway. It’s surrounded by lush lawns for the children to play on, and there’s an inviting pool for summer dips. Never far away, antelope live peacefully too.
In its previous incarnation, Farm House was actually a farm house – though tiny and built in red brick. The old house was raised, and the current Farm House was created to include some of the bricks and timber from the original dwelling. The main living area and bar is where the original farmhouse once stood.
Just a 15-minute drive from River House and Owners’ House, Farm House also has its own resident chef, butler, full staff complement, safari vehicle and team just like the other houses. Even though much bigger, the house has a cosy, homely feel to it and the staff are ever-friendly, hospitable and flexible – they will certainly be friends before you leave. Importantly, here you also decide exactly what you’d like to do when, and the staff magically materialise it.
Set on flat terrain and surrounded by bushveld, the area around the house is ideal for walks and bush exploration amongst the resident wildlife. There’s a sense of space and a feeling of freedom in the experience. Inside Farm House, the bedrooms are also spacious, beautifully neutral and individually decorated to showcase the surrounding scenery. Bespoke Afro chic accents and clean lines add to the sense of tranquillity that pervades Farm House. And more tranquil a setting and safari you could not wish for – with all the generations you can muster included.
Reviewed by Keri Harvey
What we love
- that the original farmhouse’s materials were incorporated in the construction of current Farm House
- all the game that lives happily around the house
- wooden panelled feature walls
- the novelty of game viewing from your bed
- such uplifting work done in the community and local school by the Morukuru Goodwill Foundation
- unique and authentic community and conservation insights afforded by Morukuru’s ingenious Safaris with a Purpose add-on package for guests, with all proceeds going to conservation efforts in Madikwe
- the romantic and luxurious bush sleep-out option overlooking a nearby waterhole, at no additional cost – and it’s available to guests at River House and Owners’ House too
- such diverse and memorable dining venues, including right in the bushveld botanical herb garden close by
Need to know
- Federal Air operates daily flights from Johannesburg to Madikwe, or you could self drive or book a road transfer
- Check-in is strictly from 2pm and checkout is by 11am, to facilitate housekeeping services
- 16 is the minimum age for Big 5 game walks; excellent guided nature walks are available for younger guests’ enjoyment within the 1km² fenced area around Farm House
- Farm House is one of three exclusive use houses in the Morukru Family portfolio in Madikwe Game Reserve
- Sleeps 10