Every day at Beachy Head starts with a full-frame sunrise over the ocean. Dolphins often frolic in the waves and a yacht sails past just beyond. You may practise yoga on the front deck, or instead sip your early morning coffee to greet the new day. Either way, staying at Beachy Head is idyllic.
Positioned on Plettenberg Bay’s ‘millionaire’s strip’ on Beachy Head Drive, the house enjoys a prime location between Beacon Island and Robberg. From the street it’s unimposing with a gorgeous planted roof garden, but once you step inside you are in a private and elegant space.
Comprising two levels, with a third level below ground, the house hugs a spacious internal courtyard with a heated pool and shady areas for dining or reclining. A smaller second courtyard has a trampoline just for fun and the soundproof basement offers activities galore – play music, snooker, poker, watch TV or take in a movie in the uber-comfy, state-of-the-art 12 seater cinema.
And then there’s still everything the Indian Ocean and golden sandy beach has to offer too; just a one-minute walk down a private walkway and you’ll be standing in sea sand. When you head home, there’s an outdoor heated shower to wash off and freshen up.
With an in-house sauna, you can pamper yourself every day. Or chill, drink in hand, in the large Jacuzzi set under milkwood trees. There’re spinning bikes for the energetic and a colourful custom-built climbing wall too. Or choose to lounge and chill on the deck, in the courtyard or an array of other private nooks around the house – most with magnificent sea views, others under tall, shady trees.
This is a house of endless space and numerous beautiful living areas with fireplaces dotted across lounges and some of the eight en-suite, air-conditioned bedrooms. Elegant pared-down décor and scrubbed wooden floors complement the wide sea views from the front of the house. Even the kitchen has stunning ocean views and you can watch dolphins while you cook. It’s sublime and spacious, with every mod con a chef could dream of – so catering is a synch.
If you want to be secluded from the rest of the house, choose the sea-view master bedroom with its own lounge, fireplace and dressing room. Here you can truly cocoon in a vast ‘room with a view’, recharge and regroup away from everyone. Just shut the door and you are completely alone.
When you emerge, maybe go for a dip in the warm ocean, watch a movie, chill on the deck… or simply breathe deeply, unwind and give thanks for a beautiful day spent in a decadent way.
What we love!
- Having so many options and settings for indoor and outdoor dining
- That the pool is long and perfect for training
- Watching movies in-house in the state-of-the-art cinema
- Sundowners on the enchanting rooftop garden, planted with fynbos
- That you don’t need to leave ‘home’ to enjoy a spa day
What you need to know…
- Sleeps 18 people comfortably in 8 bedrooms (1 is a bunk room with 4 beds)
- Entire property is non-smoking
- Pool has an automatic retractable cover so is child safe
- Grand piano is not for guest use, except with special permission
- The property has a large backup generator.
- Main study and garage are closed, however there is off-road parking for 5 cars.
- Resident housekeepers, Thuba and Lue, attend up to 8 guests, if your party is larger additional staff will be required.
- There’s an access code to the property so no keys
Reviewed by Keri Harvey