Bantry Bay lies between a scramble of coarsely crystalline rocks on this famous Cape peninsual coastline, and the lower lightly forested slopes of Table Mountain. It is a small but much celebrated piece of turf, commanding huge prices because of its potent position. “Ah, Bantry Bay,” people nod knowingly. Super smart. Swanky houses, enviable vistas.
It lies within a microclimate of tropical weather, which Arcadia has made the most of with a tangle of waxy tropical plants, orchids, banana trees, hanging baskets filled with begonias.
As a holiday destination Arcadia offers an island feel, a look that is mirrored in the interiors with its anthracite, charcoal and purpley granite shades offset with pots of orchids, frangipani, poinsettia, a Catherine Wheel of colours shot with scarlet accessories.
Large oil paintings decorate the walls, some portraits and one of gulls rushing through a sunset makes the heart leap. Arcadia is sunset territory and tilting down cocktails – Manhattans, Sidecars or personal favourites like the Sazerac – you can watch the sun sink slowly on the horizon, which is the real essence of Bantry Bay.
Comfort is the box office word for Arcadia, lofty bedrooms, all except one with sea views, big bathrooms (only found in South Africa and America) and a parabola of windows like an ocean liner. The rim pool juts into the sea and ocean and sky meets sea to make a wall of blue. “Comfort is my big thing here” says the owner, “it’s wall to wall luxe and that translates into relaxation for me. A few days and I am restored.”
What we love!
- The huge outside living space with infinity pool!
- Three of Cape Town’s blue flag beaches are a mere 5 to 20 minute drive away – Clifton 4th, Camps Bay and Llandudno
- All 5 bedrooms have aircon, and for those visiting during the chillier months there is central heating throughout
- Arcadia comes with three garages, a rare find in this area
- Bantry Bay is a short Uber away from some great restaurants and bars where the beautiful people hang out, 15 mins from the Waterfront and 25 from Constantia’s Wine Route
What you need to know…
- The infinity pool has no net so Arcadia is not ideal for relaxed holidays with little ones who can’t swim yet
Reviewed by Lin Sampson