Restored to perfection, Castlehill House welcomes with gleaming black-and-white chequered floors and a clever mix of new and old that has revived its lively soul. She is, without doubt, our grande dame of Kalk Bay – perfect for extended family holidays where everyone wants to do their own thing.
The house is a haven of peace, and each of the individually decorated bedrooms has brand-new classic-style bathrooms – but you’ll have to throw the dice for the ‘honeymoon’ four-poster suite at the front of the house! Tiptoe out onto the wraparound verandah at dawn to quietly take in the magnificent 180-degree view across the rooftops and harbour to the sea – a landscape that’s remained unchanged for years – and you’ll understand why so many love Kalk Bay for its seaside village atmosphere.
Best of all: it’s a hop and a skip down to the beach, a 15-minute drive to the Constantia winelands, or a train-ride away from Muizenberg for surfing or from Simonstown where you might find yourself swimming or SUP’ing with penguins. Not to mention the fact that Castlehill House is a quick walk from some of Kalk Bay’s best café’s and eateries. How convenient is that?
What we love:
- Kalk Bay’s vibe: the village is filled with an eclectic mix of boutiques, cafes and antique stores.
- That Bob’s Bagel Café, next to the park (just below the house) and the Potter’s Shop, has great coffee – and real bagels, of course!
- The art galleries: don’t miss Kalk Bay Modern, and that the work of internationally recognized local talent such as Katherine Glenday (porcelain) and Nic Bladen (botanical sculpture) is found in the village.
- That Kalk Bay has a working harbour: watch the fish come in off colourful fishing boats or walk the jetty where local fisherman gather daily.
Need to know:
- There is no swimming pool at the house, but the beach is just down the hill. There are tidal pools all along the coast and it’s a short walk to St James, or a quick train ride to surf at Muizenberg, or swim at Fish Hoek and Simonstown.
- The house is on three levels: a self-contained cottage on the lower floor sleeps two with an additional sofa bed for children. One suite is on the ground level and the rest upstairs, including the spacious honeymoon suite at the front of the house.
- Kalk Bay is 15 minutes’ drive from the Constantia winelands, Noordhoek or Simonstown, and about 30-40 minutes out of the city in off-peak traffic.
Review Michelle Snaddon
Photographs Lar Photography/Perfect Hideaways