So, we’re pretty confident that this is THE location to choose on laid-back Leisure Isle as Land’s End house is just that: a sophisticated beach house located right on the tip of the island with the most striking views of Knysna and The Heads. And of course, this ‘Land’s End’ is surrounded by calmer, infinitely warmer and more inviting waters than its British namesake because it’s situated in the heart of the Garden Route.
A well-proportioned home that’s built on the site of the historic site of the original farmhouse on Leisure Isle, Land’s End is flooded with shafts of sunshine all year round. Wall-to-ceiling glass windows and doors give guests uninterrupted lagoon and mountain views no matter which way they turn. Water laps gently at its shores as the tide comes and goes, and from the comfort of your lounger or the shade of the ancient wild fig tree, you can watch the teens kayak and learn to fish… or let them go off on mountain bikes for a ride around the island. Many families have been visiting Leisure Isle for decades because little has changed here over the years, unlike the rest of the Garden Route. Friends and family reunite and new friendships are forged while socialising on the beach.
Owned by a family with hospitality in their genes, thoughtful touches for travellers are evident throughout the house. Beautiful books, comfy nooks in which to curl up and snooze, oodles of cupboards or dressing room space and the most indulgent bathrooms imaginable, all recently upgraded with marble finishes.
Land’s End works perfectly for mature multi-generational families too, with well-spaced and generously proportioned bedrooms for privacy, a ground-floor bedroom and a self-contained suite with its own entrance and kitchen. What more could you wish for?
What we love!
- Location, location, location! You literally fall out of bed into the lagoon and the gentle lapping of the water lulls you to sleep each night.
- That it’s a great beach house for water sport enthusiasts and cyclists. There are four mountain bikes (experienced bikers will love the nearby Harkerville trails) and a kayak available for use but sailing, SUPing and kite surfing can easily be organized.
- Being able to watch lagoon life from the comfort of your chaise or the living room and garden: fisherman come and go, boats bob by, stand-up paddle boarders drift by chatting.
Need to know…
- Swimming is safe near the house but further out, there can be strong currents.
- Knysna is very busy over peak holidays but Leisure Isle is blissfully calming as a holiday destination.
- There are superb forest and coastal trails in the area and Plettenberg Bay is only half an hour away.
- Land’s End prefers not to take children under 12.
Reviewed by Michelle Snaddon