With towering mountains behind, shimmering vineyards all around and a gently stream flowing past, Lily Pond House is simply idyllic. There’s a serene wow factor of understated elegance when you first set eyes on the house, and when you enter you automatically exhale and forget every worry and care. Both the architecture and interior is classic in style, and décor is a palette of calm white with muted colour highlights. And there is the sense of endless space, outside of course, but also inside – and further amplified by lofty ceilings.
As you wake up in the morning, throw open the doors and step out onto the terrace to enjoy your first cup of coffee for the day in absolute privacy. Maybe take a refreshing dip in the pool, before a lazy breakfast. Thereafter, there’s plenty to do, or not, because simply kicking back at Lily Pond House is a gracious way to rest and restore body and mind. Everything about the house is balm for the soul.
Set on magnificent Le Lude wine estate, Lily Pond House is so close to Franschhoek you can stroll into town with absolute ease – it’s only about a kilometre or so. There are fine restaurants, beautiful shops and anything else you may wish for here. But if you stay put on Le Lude, there’s more than enough ways to expend your energy too – plus there’s a fine restaurant for eating out without leaving the estate.
Bring your mountain bikes and enjoy cycling through the vineyards and even into the mountains, or take a drive and so the same. Consider a wine tasting or a cellar tour, or walk the farm to your heart’s desire. It’s a working farm, so there’s always something interesting going on. For a touch of old world nostalgia, amble the private pathways around the three ponds and little stream close to Lily Pond House – it’s a little sliver of English countryside in Africa, and a great spot to snack on a picnic or simply enjoy the fresh mountain air, which is in endless supply here.
What we love:
- seeing the actual lily ponds near the house
- that all the doors open up onto the verandah
- the cool, calm white interiors
- refreshed antique pieces
- being nestled in vineyards, yet also easy walking distance to Franschhoek
- no sight or sound of traffic
- that you can also walk to the Franschhoek monument and museum
Need to know:
- the pool is not covered for young children
- the house sleeps four adults in two bedrooms
- a camping cot can be supplied
- guests can book just one of the two bedrooms, and will still have the entire house to themselves
- there is full housekeeping, but also the option not to use it