Morning Mist encapsulates the very essence of simple beach living. With its high reed ceilings, thick walls and cool concrete screed floors, inspiration was clearly taken from Churchhaven’s original fisherman’s cottages. Life on the lagoon offers a peaceful, slower pace allowing one to slip effortlessly into holiday mode!
Return ravenous after a morning’s play on the beach and create a feast to enjoy at the large outside dining table. Allow the warmth of the sun and the effects of a glass of chilled white to lull you towards an indulgent nap on the soft-bellied sun loungers.
As the light changes, so does the lagoon…these views are impossible to tire of. Evenings here are particularly special. With zero light pollution, lie back, star-gaze and enjoy the peace of the reserve, softly lit by candles and lanterns (only solar power for simple living).
The cottage is furnished with textured old linen cushions, wrought-iron candlesticks, lanterns, squashy chairs and a careful curation of antique gems.
Churchhaven provides an ideal family beach holiday throughout the year…every season has something different to offer. Take your bicycles, running shoes, hiking boots, buckets and spades and loads of reading material. Allow this calm life – far from the madding crowds – to help you unwind, re-evaluate and find fresh perspective. A truly perfect beach hideaway!
What we love!
- the wonderfully warm lagoon waters with the softest white-sand beaches and very safe swimming for the kids
- the utterly unspoilt, pristine surroundings deep in a National Parks Board Nature Reserve
- the back-to-basics lifestyle in a charming hamlet on the water’s edge
- the incredible range of things to do and see, from the spring flowers in Postberg Flower Reserve, idyllic beach picnics at nearby Kraalbaai (close to the famous Preekstoel rock formation) and kitesurfing at Shark Bay just outside Langebaan (an excellent place for beginners and to hone your skills)
What you need to know…
- Only one hour’s drive from Cape Town
- This is blissful off-the-grid living, so there is no WiFi, limited cellphone accessibility and solar power rules supreme. Most houses rely on rainwater catchment or borehole water driven by solar pumps, and gas hobs and gas ovens are used for cooking. In winter, fireplaces and ever-faithful wood-burning stoves keep things cosy
- Only cellphones, laptops, music players and the like can be used in the plugs. No hairdryers, hair straighteners or curling irons or any other appliances are to be plugged in as this could cause permanent damage to the electrical system
- We are unable to offer a cleaning service at Churchhaven. The ONLY cleaning service available at any of our Churchhaven properties is a mid-week linen change if you are staying for 6 nights or longer. Due to being off-grid Churchhaven houses do not have dishwashers. If this is a problem for you please consider our other West Coast options.
- Please take note of the following gate times for entering and leaving the West Coast National Park: 1 April to 31 August 07:00 to 17:30; 1 September to 31 March 07:00 to 18:30. No entrance into the park is possible after the gates close in the evenings
- There is a per person, per day entrance fee due to enter the park. Please check the SANPARKS website for latest fee tariffs – https://www.sanparks.org/parks/west_coast/tourism/tariffs.phpIt may be worth investing in a Wild Card – https://www.sanparks.org/wild_new/