Adjacent the white sands and warm waters of Robberg Beach, Mosaic House stands tall, overlooking the Peninsula where the famous Greek vessel, Athena, wrecked herself in the late 1960’s. At the end of a quiet, secluded road, with a natural vlei bordering the backyard of the property, this 16 year-old home – built from scratch – imbues a sense of familiarity and fun. Richly layered with memorabilia, the design explores the dialogue between old and new. Vibrant and neutral colours partner up with soft and gritty textures. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, and urges you not to either.
Being a sought after stop along the popular Garden Route, Plettenberg Bay is home to a hefty bevy of builds along its notoriously beautiful shorelines, imbedded in the rugged nature reserve. In defiance to competition, this harmonious hideaway stays true to its primary intention as a holiday home, oozing peace, relaxation, warmth and authenticity. Six spacious bedrooms pan the upstairs and downstairs, accommodating the whole family. A wonderfully open and light living space, cornices the kitchen with its minimalist, airy elements of timber, white cabinetry, cement finished floors, and stone countertops. Entertaining is easy from the hub of the home, that weaves its way outside onto the stoep where the mosaic fireplace warms the diners around the table, and simultaneously cocoons the courtyard on the other side. Spectacular sunsets can be viewed from the upstairs deck – an extension of the master suite. In addition to the to the gorgeous views from downstairs, uninterrupted sea views can be seen from the bed, the bathtub, the outdoor shower, and the deck itself. Dolphins are known to surf the waves beneath as gregarious flocks of pelican soar above.
The house blends remnants of the owners’ traditions, with your own mellow anticipation for the special holiday that’s unfolding, and all of the memories you’ll be making. The Magnolia tree greets you with a welcoming scent that escorts you through the front doors. Mungo linens that have been woven just down the road, whicker armchairs, French window shutters, reed rugs, open fireplaces, comfy daybeds, built-in bookshelves, a swinging egg chair and the decorative mosaic works of art all tie in the intent of a happy, laid-back holiday. For you, the kids, the dogs, the cousins and the friends.
What we love!
- The westward positioning of the property allows for an abundance of warm light all day, and year, long.
- When it’s cooler and the cold sea air comes in, the indoor and outdoor fireplaces, and underfloor heating contain the warmth inside.
- The inner courtyard, with its Mosaic fireplace, for sitting around at night, or cooking from when the winds are pumping or the sun is beating too hard for the front yard.
- There’s a large basement area downstairs, with a ping pong table – great as a games room.
- The property has its own private boardwalk down to the main boardwalk that leads you onto Robberg Beach.
- Endless beach walks, boogie boarding, surfing or just snoozing in the sand under an umbrella.
- The outdoor showers and swimming pool, for rinsing off the salt water after a dip in the ocean.
- The small garden of fine flowering fynbos that blends in with the fynbos that’s hedged around the parameters of the property.
What you need to know…
- For those hot, summer stays there is a fabulous cold room in a separate scullery to keep all of your drinks the temperature they should be.
- Pets are welcome!
- The property sits within a contained gated community, making it a quiet and secure spot to stay.
- Plettenberg Bay is known for its laid-back beach living, and generous-spirited communities. There’s a variety of good spots to choose from when preferring to dine out. The owner’s choice is The Lookout Deck, for family food and fun, upon the beach.
Reviewed by Colleen Ogilvie