It’s completely involuntary, but you will certainly gasp as you step into Singita Boulders Lodge. Simply exquisite, it’s a sanctuary for the soul and – when you recover yourself – the ultimate place to exhale. This is where tranquility lives in abundance.
Set on the banks of the Sand River in the privately-owned Sabi Sand Reserve, here you are surrounded by 18 000-hectares of iconic bushveld and all the wildlife you can imagine. There’s the Big Five of course, along with rare wild dogs, shy nyala and countless other species that make up the full mosaic of southern African wildlife. Birdlife is abundant too.
Step into your glass-fronted suite and notice the vast space around you, your own heated plunge pool on the deck, indoor and outdoor showers, the cosy fireplace for winter, all the amenities you can dream of … and again, the space. Have an early morning coffee or a late afternoon sundowner on your deck and watch wildlife mingle along the winding Sand River below. The views are beautiful, the lodge is magnificent, and time stands still here as life follows the rhythm of nature.
Named for the ancient boulders on which it stands, Singita Boulders Lodge was inspired by the natural geometry of the river course and surrounding terrain. One boulder was simply too big to move, so the wine cellar was built to include it – along with a stock of rare and vintage wines for guest enjoyment. Then notice the stone-packed fireplaces and soft, contoured lines of the lodge, the décor that reflects the surrounding earth in colour and texture, complemented by fittings in brass, wood, leather and cane. It’s a contemporary take on a thatched, earth-inspired lodge that lives harmoniously in its surroundings. On a game drive, you’ll notice just how relaxed wildlife is too.
Holistic wellness has been a priority across all Singita lodges for a long time, and activities and cuisine gently reflect this. Quiet bush walks encourage communion with nature and walking barefoot in soft river beds, and massage treatments are holistic too. Farm-to-table menus focus on health, flavour and freshness and use locally sourced products. Wholesome, tasty meals are the norm, with plant-based options served in appropriate portions.
But wherever you dine by day or night, listen for the magical call of fish eagles along the river. It’s the music of Africa at its finest, because that’s exactly where you are.
What we love
- all the delicious, fresh and healthy food options – and that suite mini bars have homemade cordials replacing fizzy drinks.
- that everything at the lodge is pro wellness, nature and sustainability
- truly exquisite décor that makes you feel naturally grounded
- so many vintage wines to taste, and tailored food and wine parings
- the Singita Boutique & Gallery stocked with uniquely created products, all locally sourced – and the Premier Wine Boutique
- that guests can interact with the anti-poaching canine unit, and these fees go directly to the unit. (booking essential)
Need to know
- access by scheduled flights (1 hour) or private charter to Singita’s airstrip 10 minutes from the lodge.
- driving time from Johannesburg is 6.5 hours (430km)
- children from 10 years old are welcome
- there is complimentary wifi
- any dietary requirements, including Kosher and Halaal food, are offered with advance booking
Posted by Keri Harvey