The Beach House, sitting proud and pretty on the grassy slopes of Cape Town’s Misty Cliffs, is quite simply, the quintessential family beach home. The large, ivory clapboard house is as romantic, effortlessly chic and whimsically welcoming as all seaside getaways should be.
This rambling, double-story home sits in the lap of one of the country’s most formidable surf spots. Misty Cliffs is a nostalgically picturesque little hamlet about an hour away from the bustle of the city’s CBD. The magical village is one of the few spots in the city that has managed to maintain its original charms, it is tranquil, quiet and wonderfully quaint.
The Beach House’s interior is the epitome of uncomplicated, seaside comfort with just a splash of luxury. The painted white wooden floors, largely neutral colour palette and generous windows, all allow for a luminous, relaxed and easy atmosphere that compels all those who walk through its doors to throw their worries to the ocean breeze. Reclining on one of the living room’s plush couches, looking out over the wild tempestuous blue of the sea, it is almost as if you are lying on the sand of the beach itself.
This beautiful beachside home has just about everything a vacationing family might need, from board games and books to surf boards and sea! The kitchen is enormous, offering the perfect spot for the kids to whip up morning (or afternoon) pancakes to be enjoyed in the breakfast nook. After indulging in a care-free day spent tanning, swimming and reading on the beach, wander back up to the house for an early evening dip in the pool.
The Beach House is the ultimate holiday home, days spent at this whimsical escape will make for the most sun-soaked and blissful of family memories.
What we love!
• The constant sound of the ocean – so soothing!
• The kitchen has everything one needs to whip up a feast.
• Sleepy Scarborough is a 5 minute drive away and has a deli and a lovely family restaurant – The Hub – for simple fare both lunchtime and evenings.
• The almost mythological haze created by the sea which gives Misty Cliffs its name – simply beautiful!
What you need to know…
• The driveway is narrow and grassy – extra care is needed and it is not suitable for very low clearance vehicles
• There are around 10 steep steps from the driveway to the house which may be difficult for the elderly / infirm as there is no hand rail.
•You will also get the odd “ink and oink” and weathered hinge/door handle – the house is literally on the sea. It is not precious but it is beautiful