At the foot of the Simonsberg, surrounded by vineyards and weeping willows that dip their leaves in still waters, is The Residence @ Vrede & Lust. In the distance are the Franschhoek mountains in soft blues and greys, clearly contrasted against the summery green vineyards. Though surrounded by space and open skies, here there’s also the distinct sense of being cocooned and embraced.
Start the day on the patio gazing across glassy waters on the scenic dam, as a family of ducks swims by in single file on a morning sortee. Consider casting a line if you wish, as beneath these waters bass are very busy going about their business – though above the water all is perfectly calm.
While the farm dates back to 1688, The Residence is circa 2009. So there’s a smooth blend of history and contemporary aesthetics here, always with the extraordinary feeling of space. So too when you step inside The Residence. At over 1400 m², it’s a grand house that garners a sense of freedom and homeliness at the same time. The Residence was for a decade the gracious home of the estate owners, and the feeling of sanctuary remains along with their décor choice of modern contemporary with a subtle touch of both France and Africa. It’s all a magnificently comfortable and thoroughly understated mix of modern amenities and state-of-the-art technology in a beautiful country home.
The Residence is deeply inviting in all seasons. It’s both a poolside, air-conditioned ‘summer house’ and a cosy, wood-stove heated ‘winter house’, with under-floor heating for bare feet. Surrounds are leafy and lush in summer; naked vines and warm light prevail in winter; all year round the petite gym and treatment room are completely appealing. With prior arrangement, a therapist will provide massages and beauty treatments – or the space is ideal for relaxing yoga sessions.
But whenever you visit, there’s the ‘wow’ factor in every room. So come with extended family or as group of close friends, because The Residence comfortably sleeps 12. The pool and playground area mean it’s a welcoming space for children too.
Before you leave this slice of serenity in the Franschhoek Wine Valley, do hop on the wine tram from the platform right on the farm. From here you can visit eight extraordinary wine farms in the valley and do tastings at each one before returning ‘home’ to Vrede & Lust – where the surroundings are pure ‘peace and delight’.
What we love:
- Antler chandeliers in the lounge and dining room
- The palette of white with accent colours
- The gentle rustle of weeping willows over the water
- Golden evening light on the vineyards
- Watching harvest in late summer
Need to know:
- the pool is not covered
- there is a dedicated playground area for kids
- the gym is equipped with a treadmill, exercise bike and weights
- fishing in the dam is catch and release
- there’s Netflix, Apple TV and DSTV in the TV/Entertainment room and DSTV & Netflix in all the bedrooms along with high speed internet throughout the house
- backup solar, batteries and generator ensure the lights never go out
- excellent security with electrified perimeter fence, cameras and beams
- located midway between Franschhoek (18km), Stellenbosch (18km) and Paarl (15km)