Handpicked for you...
“One of the top 10 best places to stay in South Africa” – Condé Nast House & Garden (October 2006)
Whaler’s Way is an exquisite Churchhaven beach house that is big on charm and small on environmental impact. The house is built on an entirely green footprint of reclaimed materials, solar panels, locally sourced finishes and rainwater harvesting. Ecological credentials lend authenticity to the understated rustic “French Settler” style that has been achieved with weathered beams, antique furnishings and fresh natural finishes.
Whaler’s Way is tucked into the unspoilt village of Churchhaven in the heart of the West Coast National Park, which is only an hour’s drive from Cape Town. It is a mere two-minute amble from this charming beach house to the pristine waters of the Langebaan Lagoon. Spend your days swimming, bicycling or snorkelling, or laze on the verandah soaking up the views that stretch over the lagoon and beyond. This truly is a magical, off-the-grid hideaway.
What we love!
- The wonderfully warm lagoon waters with the softest white-sand beaches and very safe swimming for the kids
- The utterly unspoilt, pristine surroundings deep in a National Parks Board Nature Reserve
- The back-to-basics lifestyle in a charming hamlet on the water’s edge
- The incredible range of things to do and see, from the spring flowers in Postberg Flower Reserve, idyllic beach picnics at nearby Kraalbaai (close to the famous Preekstoel rock formation) and kitesurfing at Shark Bay just outside Langebaan (an excellent place for beginners and to hone your skills)
What you need to know…
- Only one hour’s drive from Cape Town
- This is blissful off-the-grid living, so there is no WiFi, limited cellphone accessibility and solar power rules supreme. Most houses rely on rainwater catchment or borehole water driven by solar pumps, and gas hobs and gas ovens are used for cooking. In winter, fireplaces and ever-faithful wood-burning stoves keep things cosy
- We are unable to offer a cleaning service at Churchhaven. The ONLY cleaning service available at any of our Churchhaven properties is a mid-week linen change if you are staying for 6 nights or longer. Due to being off-grid Churchhaven houses do not have dishwashers. If this is a problem for you please consider our other West Coast options.
- Please take note of the following gate times for entering and leaving the West Coast National Park: 1 April to 31 August 07:00 to 17:30; 1 September to 31 March 07:00 to 18:30. No entrance into the park is possible after the gates close in the evenings
- There is a per person, per day entrance fee due to enter the park. Please check the SANPARKS website for latest fee tariffs – https://www.sanparks.org/parks/west_coast/tourism/tariffs.phpIt may be worth investing in a Wild Card – https://www.sanparks.org/wild_new/
- 1 x Bedroom (double)
- 1 x Bedroom (queen)
- 1 x Bedroom (twin singles)
- All linen provided
- Bath towels
- Beach towels
- Coffee plunger
- Firelighters (supplied)
- Firewood (supplied)
- Fridge (double door fridge/freezer)
- No microwave
- Oven (Gas)
- Solar power support for electronic devices
- Stove (Gas)
No dogs are allowed in the West Coast National Park
Based on 13 reviews
Guest reviews are written by our customers after their stay at Whaler’s Way.
Again, our Perfect Hideaways experience exceeded all expectations - from the easy booking process, important information sent at the right time and the knowledge that there is backup, should we experience any problem. The new directions were given to our friends (they managed to leave CT earlier) who had never been there and they had no problem finding the house and making themselves at home. Whaler's Way is a stunning house, with every need catered for. The kitchen is very well equipped and the big fridge/freezer was a joy. We enjoyed the views immensely and when it became too cold outside, lit the two fire places inside and played board games until late. The atmosphere was super cosy, with limited electric lights in the dining room and lots of oil lamps! Saturday was spent on the beach and sailing and swimming in the lagoon, just 3 minutes' walk from the house, ending with sun downers and a braai on that stoep (and hammock) that we'll all miss until we go again! The beds were fantastic - one melted to sleep, after a lovely shower, smelling delicious thanks to Charlotte Rhys and her magic potions... What a perfect weekend!
“We had such a divine time – absolutely loved, loved, loved the house, and Churchhaven is like heaven!!”
We had a very nice time in the Whalers Way cottage, thank you.
Thanks very much Reinette! We had an awesome time!
We had an awesome time!
We had such a great time in Whalers Way this weekend!
We had a lovely stay and will definitely use Perfect Hideaways again
We had a lovely relaxing stay and should have stayed a week. Best part no electronics as we did not like to put pressure on the resources.
It's a gorgeous property with a lot of ambiance & charm!
We have just got back to Cape Town and I just want to tell you how much we all enjoyed Whalers Way. The flowers and weather also contributed! The facilities were excellent and the house was very thoughtfully equipped. We will be back next year!
Thank you for a lovely stay at Whalers way
We have just returned from South Africa. We had an amazing time in both Churchaven and Babylonstoren – both properties excellent. Babylonstoren also managed to accommodate us in the 2 bedroom from the first night, so it was all good. What a fantastic place! Quite depressing being back in cold old Europe I can tell you! Will be recommending Perfect Hideaways to my friends who are planning SA trips!
Churchhaven“One of the top 10 best places to stay in South Africa” – Condé Nast House & Garden (October 2006) Whaler’s Way is an exquisite Churchhaven beach house that is big on charm and small on environmental impact. The house is built on an entirely green footprint of reclaimed materials, solar panels, locally sourced finishes
What to do in the West Coast National Park:
- Go for nice hikes and see if you can spot any animals
- Cycling and mountainbiking – be aware that you need to take your own bicycles
- Go to Kraalbaai where you can enjoy a picnic and/or braai – when exiting Churchhaven turn right at T-junction
- August to September is the ideal time to see if you can spot whales
- August to September is also spring flower season
- For lunch you can stop at Geelbek restaurant for something nice to eat – follow the signs next to the roads http://geelbek.co.za/new/
- For a day outing head to Langebaan, about 40-minutes’ drive from Churchhaven
- Kayaking http://www.capesports.co.za/
- Water sport in Langebaan http://www.sa-venues.com/things-to-do/westerncape/bysuburb/langebaan/category/water-sport/
R4 500 – R8 500
All prices are per night/per property. Please confirm availability/actual rates, and enquire for DISCOUNTS & SPECIAL OFFERS.
Accepted credit cards
Cancellation / Prepayment
The 50% rental deposit and the 50% balance of payment due 30 days prior to arrival are non-refundable. However, in the event of a cancellation management may consider refunds where those days can be rebooked after deducting any costs incurred with respect to the re-booking and preparation of the residence.